Requirements to be a Surrogate
The decision to become a surrogate is life-changing. Surrogates have the opportunity to help create or grow a family. This responsibility should not be taken lightly and that’s why we have specific requirements to ensure a safe and smooth process. Women interested in becoming a surrogate must meet the following minimum requirements for health, lifestyle, and finances.
- First-time surrogates must be 21-38 years of age
- Returning surrogates must be 21-39 years of age.
- Surrogates cannot have any health conditions that may be exacerbated by pregnancy.
- Surrogates must have a healthy body mass index (BMI) below 33.
- Surrogates must have had at least one pregnancy and delivery of their own.
- Surrogates cannot have a history of the following serious pregnancy complications: toxemia, pre-eclampsia, preterm labor, incompetent cervix, and pregnancy-induced hypertension.
Surrogates must be financially stable and have a steady source of income; surrogacy cannot be their sole source of income. We conduct household income verification and make sure the surrogate has not had a bankruptcy in the past 12 months.
Every applicant is unique and so we carefully review each one. Our requirements are meant to be guidelines for women interested in surrogacy but may vary case-by-case. The Magic Journeys team takes into consideration the background of each surrogate and the needs of parents to make sure both parties are satisfied. Our personalized review, approval and matching process helps ensure a smooth and quick timeline.
Applicants should speak to their admissions specialist to learn more about our requirements.